THE Republic of Ireland’s busiest commuter station, Dublin Pearse, is to have its 1880s-built overall roof renewed as part of a €17million project by Iarnród Éireann-Irish Rail (IÉ).
The iron-vaulted, glazed structure dates from the construction of the City of Dublin Junction Railway to Amiens Street in 1891, and has been suffering in recent years from excessive corrosion.
IÉ has strung protective mesh netting in the worst-affected areas to protect passengers and trains, but the nation’s rail operator has now deemed the roof’s replacement as a crucial safety project.
The works will be funded by the National Transport Authority, and will take around 23 months to complete.
The roof itself comprises two main areas. The larger of the two is the 28m-wide train shed, which consists of 40 barrelled roof trusses spread over 38 bays, and an additional gable-end structure at either end.
The trusses are longitudinally linked by timber purlins along the length of the train shed.
A second similar but smaller roof adjoins the main one, made up of 18 trusses over 18 bays. The span of this second roof is about 17m wide.
Read more in the December issue of The RM – on sale now!