PRESERVATION history was made at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway (BKR) in early November when two of only three preserved Caledonian Railway locomotives were united for the first time in steam and on a complete ‘Caley’ train.
The BKR’s Caledonian Reunion gala on November 2-4 provided the perfect welcome for its freshly overhauled John F McIntosh-designed ‘439’ class 0-4-4T No. 419 back into traffic.
A decade had elapsed since the St Rollox-built loco had last worked a train over BKR metals, and it certainly made an impact in its newly applied bright Caledonian livery.
However, why have one ‘Caley’ loco when you can have two? And what better way to celebrate No. 419’s return than with a first-time meeting with fellow McIntosh loco – ‘812’ class 0-6-0 No. 828, courtesy of the Strathspey Railway.
Not only was this No. 419’s first preservation meeting with the 1899-built No. 828, but was in fact the first pairing of any two operational ‘Caley’ locos in the post-BR era. It will also offer the first opportunity to match No. 828 with appropriate Caledonian Railway-liveried rolling stock since the Grouping.
Read more in the December issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.