Chasewater to commemorate closure of Littleton Colliery

STAFFORDSHIRE’S long heritage of deep coal mining finally came to an end on December 3, 1993 when Littleton Colliery closed, the last mine in the Cannock Chase Coalfield. 

A little more than 25 years later, the Chasewater Railway (CR) will mark the anniversary with a Littleton-themed weekend on April 6-7.

The commemorative event will tie in with the railway’s annual Coal Train Weekend, and will play to the strengths of the line’s local colliery heritage.

The original Hunslet 0-6-0ST Carol Ann No. 1 stands at Littleton Colliery on March 6, 1965. The Chasewater Railway hopes to re-create this long-scrapped loco during its April 6-7 Littleton celebration. RCTS ARCHIVE

The railway’s train of 16-ton mineral wagons and the rake of Merry-Go-Round ‘HAA’ wagons will be in service, as will the ex-Southern 20-ton brakevan that carries NCB blue in the style of that which operated at Littleton. 

Both steam and diesel locomotives will provide motive power, including a hoped-for return for resident Hunslet 0-6-0ST Holly Bank No. 3 (3783/1953). 

Read more in the February 2019 issue of The RM – on sale now!




Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments