Last levers in the Calder Valley

FOUR heritage Network Rail signalboxes were abolished at the end of their signallers’ shifts on October 20, in the final phase of the West Yorkshire Resignalling Scheme, reports Richard Horner.

The scheme is part of the Great North Rail Project, with the first phase, completed in January, leading to the closure of post-war Huddersfield and Healey Mills powerboxes on the trans-Pennine route between Ravensthorpe and Marsden via Huddersfield.

Milner Royd Junction signalbox on September 7. It was built around 1878 by contractor Yardley & Smith for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. RICHARD HORNER

New modular Siemens LED signalling on this route is now controlled from York Rail Operating Centre (ROC).

The second phase led to decommissioning of the Victorian signalboxes at Milner Royd Junction (c1878), Hebden Bridge (1891), Halifax (1884) and Mill Lane Junction, Bradford (1884), along the Calder Valley route from Pudsey to Hebden Bridge via Bradford.

Colour light signalling along this route has also been upgraded to the Siemens system, controlled from York ROC.

Read more in the December issue of The RM – on sale now!


Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments