SIGNALLER Steve Kennedy closed Ashton Moss North Junction box for the last time on April 14, marking the end of a small chapter in railway history, writes Richard Horner.
Ashton Moss was the last Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) Horwich-built, all-timber ’box, with its original frame, in use on the national network.
It was erected in 1911 using pre-fabricated wooden sections and cladding enclosing a steel 56-lever signal frame, all manufactured in the company’s Lancashire works.
Enjoy more Railway reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Prior to 1889, contractors built signalboxes for the company, but from that year the LYR took production in-house, using a modified version of the Railway Signal Co frame.
Read more in the May issue of The RM – on sale now!