A SPECIAL train ran in November to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the ‘Spirit of Progress’ train that linked Melbourne and Albury (and eventually Sydney).
The streamlined ‘Spirit of Progress’ express train was initially run by Victorian Railways (VR) on the 1,600mm broad gauge between Melbourne and Albury, starting in November 1937, where passengers changed to a standard gauge train – the ‘Melbourne Limited Express’ to Sydney.
From 1952 onwards the VR ‘S’ class Pacific steam locos were replaced by EMD-engined diesel locos, initially ‘B’ class 1,500hp Co-Co locos, and from 1957, the single cab, but otherwise similar and more powerful 1,810hp ‘S’ class.
Enjoy more Railway reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
When the line in Victoria was re-gauged to standard in 1962, enabling through operation from Melbourne to Sydney for the first time, the locos used bogies with 1435mm-gauge axles.
The ‘Spirit of Progress’ train declined in importance during the 1960s/70s, and ended altogether in 1986, although by this time the XPT train (based on the BR HST) was operating Melbourne to Sydney services.
Read more news on Australia in the March issue of The RM – on sale now!