A SHED built by the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1861 could become the main line operational base for the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (A1SLT) if its new multi-million pound fundraising scheme is successful.
The four-road Whessoe Road shed in Darlington was constructed to a design by William Peachey just two years before the famous company was absorbed into the North Eastern Railway empire in 1863.
The building went on to serve as a wagon repair shop, but has lain out of use for many years.
Should the Trust’s purchase go through, the shed will become the operating base for both ‘A1’ No. 60163 Tornado and the under-construction ‘P2’ 2-8-2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales.
The building requires major roof repairs and other remedial works before any locomotives can move in, but it is hoped the site will be operational in time for the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 2025.
The site will require reconnecting to the national network, but this is thought to be relatively straight-forward as there is already a fully signalled connection into the former yard at Whessoe Road, west of North Road station.
Read more in the November issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.