THE first loco to arrive on the embryonic Swanage Railway in around 1975 was moved to Corfe Castle from Swanage on February 27, following cosmetic restoration.
Beryl (Hibberd 2054 of 1938) is a 4wP loco fitted with a 54hp four-cylinder Dorman 4JORX petrol-paraffin engine.
It was used in the relaying of the first sections of track at Swanage and is now on museum display at the old goods shed in Corfe Castle station yard. It ws delivered new to Bournemouth Gas & Water Co Pitwines Works, Poole and later passed to Corralls Ltd, Hamworthy, so spent all its working life in Dorset.
Read more News and Features in the April issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.