MANX Electric Railway’s (MER) 125th anniversary was celebrated over September 1-8 with a daily programme of events and photo opportunities featuring its fleet of power cars, trailers and non-passenger stock.
Highlights included the September 3 official launch into service of 1898-vintage MER ‘Ratchet Car’ No. 14 following a three-year restoration project.
The big day was September 7 when MER’s September 7, 1893 opening was marked by a commemorative plaque, unveiled at Derby Castle terminus by Isle of Man Lieutenant Governor Sir Richard Gozney.
This was followed by an afternoon cavalcade of MER’s entire operational fleet at Laxey – a spectacle not seen since the 1990s. The trams progressed into the station, accompanied by a commentary, in numerical order: Nos. 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 16, 19, 20 21, 22, 32 and 33.
Twelve of the 14 power cars pulled passenger trailers, with five of these combinations also featuring a third, non-passenger vehicle (two open wagons, two vans and a tower wagon) – 31 items of MER stock appearing in total.
A cavalcade of Douglas Bay Horse Trams along the promenade on September 8 featured seven trams, also in numerical order: Nos. 1, 12, 18, 36, 42, 44 and 45.
Read more News and Features in the October issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.