Lord Wemyss formally opens Hayles Abbey Halt… 57 years after it closed

PRESERVATION’S newest station was opened with due ceremony amid high winds and driving rain at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway on June 5, all under the watchful eye of Collett ‘14XX’ 0-4-2T No. 1450.

The opening of Hayles Abbey Halt was overseen by Lord Neidpath, the Earl of Wemyss and March from nearby Stanway House, who along with other invited guests boarded visiting auto-trailer No. W238W at Toddington for the short hop to the re-created halt.

A proud moment for the small group of volunteers who built the new halt in under a year, mostly working on Mondays when the railway is closed. The new platform may be slightly longer than the original, but the attention to detail in re-creating the halt has been exceptional. JACK BOSKETT

Also on board were Sir Martin Harris CBE; Colonel Mike Bennett, Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire; the Mayor of Cheltenham, Coun Klara Sudbury; as well as representatives from English Heritage, Cotswold Conservation Board, Winchcombe Parish Council, English Heritage, No. 1450’s owner Mike Little, and several of the volunteers who built the halt over the last year.

The ceremony itself took place in near-horizontal rain, where Lord Neidpath unveiled the halt’s nameboard with a little help from the wind.

Read more in the July 2017 issue of The RM – on sale now!

Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments