By Hassard Stacpoole
AFTER the passage of ICR No. 22134 working the 18.25 Heuston-Limerick at 20.34 on June 4, mechanical signalling came to an end in Limerick with the closure of Limerick Check and Limerick Station cabins for conversion to centralised traffic control (CTC).
Limerick Check, at milepost ½, was the last survivor of six mechanical cabins in Limerick, opened in 1910 with a 50-lever Railway Signal Company lever frame, controlling both semaphore and electric signals.
Called the Check – because a 130-ft timber platform stood on the Up side – it was the last survivor of once numerous Check platforms in Ireland. It controlled Ennis junction and the junctions for the mothballed Foynes (disconnected November 2007) branch and the 4½-mile Castlemungret cement siding (disconnected March 2013).
It was also the fringe box for CTC controlled from Dublin Connolly station.
Read more in the July 2017 issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.