THE Northampton & Lamport Railway (N&LR) has secured a steam presence for at least the next two or three seasons after obtaining the services of former Dunlop Rubber Company Peckett ‘W7’ 0-4-0ST Dunlop No. 7.
The 1951-built locomotive (W/No. 2130) left its long-time home and restoration base at the Battlefield Line’s Shackerstone headquarters on February 7 in readiness to take up new duties at Pitsford & Brampton station.
The Peckett’s boiler was satisfactorily inspected on February 10 and, at the time of writing, the loco was awaiting running in.
It is hoped ‘No. 7’ will be available for use on the N&LR’s Easter Egg specials at the end of March.
The Northamptonshire move ends more than 45 years’ association between the loco and the Battlefield Line. After ending its career at Fort Dunlop in late 1971 it was taken to Hinckley, Leicestershire for storage until moving to Shackerstone in 1974.
Read more in the March issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.