THE last remaining Stockport Corporation Tramways car returned to the town where it worked for almost 50 years to take part in Stockport’s Community Rail Festival on May 5.
The 1901-built Dick, Kerr open-top, double-deck tram left its Heaton Park Tramway home on the back of an Allelys low-loader shortly after 07.00 that morning.
The irreplaceable load then proceeded to Stockport, where the ensemble was displayed for the day alongside the NCP car park at Stockport station, No. 5 returning to Heaton Park later that evening.
The event was staged by Northern Rail to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the opening of Edgeley station by the Manchester & Birmingham Railway in 1843. As well as No. 5 there were displays of modern traction, including DRS Nos. 57307 and 68034, trade stands, vintage Stockport Corporation buses, and
Read more in the June issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.