Restored ‘Wembley’ coach launched at Toddington

NORTH Gloucestershire Railway (NGR) launched its restored Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company ‘Wembley’ carriage into service on August 11.

The ‘Wembley’ coach, waiting to carry passengers for the first time since 1924. The diesel loco is Simplex 101T023/1985 Bryneglwys, which retains the name it had when a Talyllyn Railway locomotive. CLIFF THOMAS

It was originally used on the road-rail line at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924/5, and after 90 years in the open it was donated to NGR by the Overbury Estate, and recovered from Toddington Fields in 2011.

Restoration started soon afterwards and has included providing new bogies.

Read more News and Features in the September issue of The RM – on sale now!

Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments