IT IS likely the last loco in the world from a long series of streamlined diesel locos based on General Motors classic ‘E’ and ‘F’ type has ceased working scheduled passenger trains.
The ‘E’ and ‘F’ types were first introduced in the USA in 1937 and 1939, respectively.
Several thousand ‘E’ and ‘F’ type diesel locos – with their distinctive bulldog noses – were built for North American railroads and also export, with licensed versions built and supplied to multiple operators in Europe and Australia.
Victoria state passenger operator V/Line used its last remaining ‘A’ Class loco – No. A66 – for the last time in scheduled passenger service on August 24. The loco was used for a rail tour two days later and then stored pending preservation.
The former Victorian Railways 1,600mm-gauge ‘A’ Class locos were built by Clyde Engineering under license from General Motors in 1952/53 as ‘B’ Class Co-Co locos with 16-cylinder EMD 567 1,500hp engines.
Read more in the October issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.