SEPTEMBER 6 was Horse Tram Day at Crich Tramway Village, providing an opportunity for some of the National Tramway Museum’s non-powered trams to steal the limelight.
Making a rare appearance in front-line service was Sheffield Corporation horse tram No. 15 (pictured), built in 1874 by the Starbuck Car & Wagon Company of Birkenhead.
The car survived the electrification of Sheffield’s system in 1902 by being converted into an electric breakdown car at the Nether Edge depot, where it worked as No. 166 until withdrawal in 1946.
It was subsequently returned to horse-drawn configuration and was acquired by the Tramway Museum Society in 1959. ROBERT FALCONER
Read more News and Features in the October issue of The RM – on sale now!Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.