Kinlet Hall takes its bow at ‘Wizzer’ gala

THE withdrawal of Kinlet Hall on the final day of the West Somerset Railway’s October gala was a poignant footnote to an event full of Western flavour.

‘14XX’ No. 1450 trundles between Bishops Lydeard and Crowcombe Heathfield with the newly restored autocoach (ex-Railway Technical Centre) No. W233W on October 7. GRAHAM NUTTALL
‘14XX’ No. 1450 trundles between Bishops Lydeard and Crowcombe Heathfield with the newly restored autocoach (ex-Railway Technical Centre) No. W233W on October 7. GRAHAM NUTTALL

Jon Jones-Pratt’s No. 4936 ran with GWR-style reporting letters that spelled ‘BYE’, in a statement that left few visitors to the line on October 9 in any doubt that it really was the last runs of the ‘Hall’, which has been prematurely hooked from traffic with concerns over the integrity of firebox stays – having four years still to run on its boiler certificate.

Preparations for its forthcoming overhaul have already been instigated and a boiler lift was due to take place before the end of October at Tyseley Locomotive Works, with an estimated turnaround time of two years.

Read more in November’s issue of The RM

Comments

comments